Monday, January 7, 2013

About Me...

I have been blogging for 2 years  almost 6 years! now and have never done an official "about me" post. How sad is that? Obviously, you've picked up bits and pieces about me thru my reviews and other posts, but here's your chance to learn all the things you never wanted to know about me. ;) First of all....I am a nerd. A book nerd. A toy nerd. A Harry Potter nerd. And proud of it. Someone calls me 'weirdo' or 'dork', I say 'What's your point?" It's not a bad thing to me.

eta: 4/4/14 My banner was made by me, using found objects around my craft area. I have become obsessed with owls since starting this blog :)
6/29/16 New name, new banner! SeeJennRead is my username everywhere and I feel like it makes sense to have it here as well. I hope you like it and if you don't, lie to me! Lol...

I'm pretty sure it doesn't need to be said, but I like to read. A lot. And just about anything. I've been big on revisiting books from my childhood and teenage years: Baby-Sitters Club obviously, but also Sweet Valley High, some more Christopher Pike, Betsy-Tacey, Betty Ren-Wright, Indian in the Cupboard, and lots of others. Maybe I'll dedicate a month to childhood classics. Or the summer. Or a month for each author/series? Hmm...Why did I start a reading blog? Well, I started blogging with my mom and sis on a crafty blog that we created in 2009, but it only lasted a couple of months. Turns out I was really the only one interested in blogging lol. I've been logging my books on Goodreads since 2008 and figured reviewing/blogging was the next step. And the hardest part of blogging? Coming up with a name. :P I went thru I don't know how many before I settled on this one (Give a Hoot, Read a Book), which is a Simpsons reference, in case you didn't know. I <3 the Simpsons.

I live with my sister and Mr Binkers, the kitty. We had 2 other kitties, Kuku and Fuzzy, but they passed away. I miss them terribly. My sister and I are 4 years apart but people constantly ask us if we are twins. I think this is more the fact that we act just alike than that we look so similar. Sometimes we forget that we aren't actually twins though. We make up words and insults all the time..."you're a tree", "you wear socks", "pineapplehead", etc...and we like to name things around the house. Stevie the TV, Jonie & Tony the iPhonies...yeah, we're pretty weird lol.
(I'm the shorter one on the left)

My musical taste pretty much runs the full spectrum...everything from rock to rap to country to classical to oldies. (Seriously, I just bought 2 albums on iTunes this weekend: Hot French Chicks in the Garage & Ke$ha's newest. Yeah.) I love getting and making mixtapes. I like to think I'm pretty good at making a perfect mix CD. We always have a huge stack of burned CD's in the car and whenever I see my uncle or brother or cousins, they ask for new music and I hand them a stack. CD's should always be named too and it doesn't necessarily have to go with the theme of the music. We've had such classics as "Caution: Melted Glue is Hot", "Words on My Butt", "Lips Like Sugar", and "Slow and Low". I also like to write my mixes in a special notebook because I'm a big old dork.

(evidence of dorkiness)

I love to watch movies and TV (usually while reading). I love kid's movies/cartoons. My favorites are Toy Story, Meet the Robinsons, Up, Harry Potter (obviously), Despicable Me. I have a Disney/Pixar board on my Pinterest. My favorite movie of 2012 was absolutely, positively Pitch Perfect. I looooved it. I love Buffy, Big Bang Theory, Gossip Girl (we're 2 seasons behind though, so no spoilers!! Lol.), The New Girl, The Mindy Project, Gilmore Girls, Roseanne (pre-lottery winning), Castle (my sis is ob-sessed), Amazing Race and lots of others. I watch too much TV.

I have a strange addiction to avocados and guacamole. I've only been eating it for about a year, I refused before that, saying it was the grossest thing ever. Same for broccoli, sour cream, bacon, black beans. (Although not addicted) I'm kind of a picky eater lol. I still hate fried chicken, sushi, fish, mustard (unless mixed with ketchup). I do love mac&cheese, peppermint ice cream, Dr Pepper (instead of coffee in the morning), big salads, Mexican food.

What else? I like to think of myself as crafty. More so in the past than now, which is why my word for 2013 is "Create". My sister and I have an Etsy shop, but it just has some vintage toys on there right now. (Feel free to buy them!!) I don't really want to get back into selling stuff, but it'd be nice to make things for myself again and maybe some swaps. I like crafting, I've always liked it, it's a part of me as much as reading is. Maybe I'll start showing it more on here too. :)


My day job is "customer service rep" for a magazine. I'm a born and raised Texan and don't plan on leaving anytime soon. I am currently eating Tropical LifeSavers and drinking water. The last 3 songs on my iPhone played were: "Home" by Phillip Phillips, "Bad Girls" by M.I.A., and "That's Not My Name" by The Ting Tings. I am currently wearing teal pajama pants with with gifts on them, a grey long-sleeved t-shirt and navy blue short-sleeved t-shirt over it, blue fuzzy socks, pink slippers, hair in a ponytail. And this is my desk right now...this is me. :)


2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! i LOVE that you've got old school Strawberry Shortcake dolls on your desk!
    i personally have one of my old Calico Critter dolls from the 80s on mine. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, my sister and I have collected almost the whole collection of SSC dolls over the last few years. :) We're just missing a few now.
      I love having toys on my desk!

      Delete