Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Review: "Pride & Prejudice" Classic a Month #1!!

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
3 out of 5 stars

Okay, this was my first read for my "Classic a Month" resolution. I picked it up at the library and I chose it because, well, I don't know really lol...probably because it's the one I've heard the most about. And I think I should have technically reviewed this BEFORE January ended, but alas, I forgot. :) At least it's only February 1st though! *hangs head* I'll try harder next time.

All right, on to the review...I knew very little about this book before I started. I think I may have tried it before, but didn't get very far, and I've never seen any of the movies. (I'm assuming there's more than one?)  Just one minor thing I wanted to note before I get started: I've seen/heard a ton of people saying this is their "Favorite Book Ever" (not on Goodreads necessarily) and I have to wonder if they've even read it or maybe it's a case like on Facebook when non-reading people list the Bible under books they like. :P (I'm not saying there is something wrong with liking the Bible btw, I'm just using it as an example.)

Okay, I did something different and started updating my status on Goodreads as I read it, so we're going to go with that as jumping off points:

Page 65: "Holy crap, this is some tiny writing and margins! I'm never going to finish this!"--Yeah, I thought this was going to be a short, quick read until I actually opened the book up! I was seriously doubting if I would finish it by the end of the month. And I'm going to be totally honest and say I was not enjoying it at first. At all. I think I've been reading too many YA/Vampire/BSC books or something lately, because it took me a long time to adjust to the language and writing style. It is a very fast-paced book, the dialogue seems almost too witty for me sometimes lol...it's kind of like watching Gilmore Girls (I don't know how I reference them so much in my reviews o.O but it just happens!) set in the 1800s.

I have faults enough, but they are not, I hope, of understanding. My temper I dare not vouch for. It is, I believe, too little yielding— certainly too little for the convenience of the world. I cannot forget the follies and vices of other so soon as I ought, nor their offenses against myself. My feelings are not puffed about with every attempt to move them. My temper would perhaps be called resentful. My good opinion once lost, is lost forever.

Page 127: "I'm enjoying it more now...it's become easier to read and follow lol. But where's the Great Romance?"--Self-explanatory :) I was starting to enjoy the characters themselves, especially Elizabeth Bennett and Fitzwilliam Darcy. Oh, and Elizabeth's dad! He's so sarcastic and snarky sometimes, I love it! But it really did seem like there was never going to be a romance and that was kind of odd. Unless you count the one between Mr. Collins and himself. ;)

I declare after all there is no enjoyment like reading! How much sooner one tires of any thing than of a book! -- When I have a house of my own, I shall be miserable if I have not an excellent library.

Before I get to the really good stuff, I just want to say if you haven't read this, give it a shot. It's well worth it! And if you have read it, what did you think? Did you go in thinking one thing and left feeling another, like me? Is it in your top favorite classics? If not, what is? What should I read next?




Page 165: "Now it's getting good..."--I think this is when Mr. Darcy finally proclaims he loves Elizabeth, so I thought I'd better put the spoiler penguin in. I have to say, I was pretty shocked by this turn of events. I really expected it to be Elizabeth who falls for this stubborn, opinionated, proud man. And I love that Jane Austen knows that and turns it around to completely grab your heart.

Page 221: "Oh, I'm enjoying this ever so much more now."--After Elizabeth realizes that Mr. Darcy loves her and she shoots him down (hard!) is when I really started getting into it and was finding it hard to put down. She is so sure of herself and her feelings for him, positive that he is a despicable man who has done despicable things, that nothing can change that. And then he writes her this...scathing love letter basically. He tells her all the ways that she was stupid and wrong, insults her family (justifiably), and yet does it in a loving manner. Her thinking is completely turned upside down and she has to re-evaluate everything that has happened since she met him.

Page 299: "Arg...stupid work, making me not finish this today!"--The ending seemed a little rushed to me, but it was satisfying. When Elizabeth realizes that she loves Darcy too, (I'm sorry, I have trouble calling him "Fitzwilliam" lol) that maybe she has loved him for a long time or at least been thinking about him for a long time, everything changes. Le sigh.

“You have bewitched me body and soul, and I love, I love, I love you. And wish from this day forth never to be parted from you.” 


No comments:

Post a Comment