Wednesday, February 5, 2014

My Favorite Children's Books #1: Rain Makes Applesauce


I've been wanting to start this feature for a long time but just got around to doing it this weekend. Growing up, I always wanted to be a 1st grade teacher (still do, actually) so I amassed a good collection of children's picture books over the years. I thought it would be fun to feature one every now and then and maybe discuss your favorite picture books too! This is not going to be a real review, because when I asked my sister how you would review a children's book she said in a sing-song voice "It was good, it had pretty pictures, it made me sleepy so I could go to bed!" Hah! So I'll just give a brief description and show off a few pictures.



Rain Makes Applesauce
words by Julian Scheer
pictures by Marvin Bileck

I'm going to start things off with one of my favorites that I discovered in a children's development class in high school. And I have a confession to make first...all this time, I thought Julian Scheer was a woman. Sorry Julian, I read your name as Julianne! Oops!

Rain Makes Applesauce came out in 1964 and was a runner-up for the Caldecott Medal in 1965. It's a nice sing-songy book that is all about the nonsense. You will definitely be reciting this one in your everyday life after reading it! The beautiful illustrations, that are almost like an "I Spy" book, compliment the poem perfectly.

Monkeys mumble in a jelly bean jungle
and rain makes applesauce.
Candy tastes like soap soap soap
and rain makes applesauce.
Oh you're just talking silly talk...


1 comment:

  1. I love love love children's books... especially vintage ones. Will def. see if I can find this one... looks so cute!

    ReplyDelete