Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Review: "Burn"

Burn by Linda Howard
4 out of 5 stars

I picked this up at my mom's house one night we were over there hanging out because I was bored and then I ended up getting interested in it so I took it home to finish. I don't think my mom has even read it yet lol. This is definitely a "romance" book, so if you're not interested in that sort of thing, I wouldn't bother. And the cover totally annoyed me...it had nothing to do with the actual book and besides, everyone knows romance books are supposed to have half-naked super-buff men on the cover. :)

Jenner Redwine is a hard-working, lower-middle class woman with a dead-beat boyfriend and a leaching loser of a dad. She buys a lottery ticket one night on a whim and...can you guess where this is going? Yep, she wins the mega-jackpot. My sis and I like to play "what if" when we're bored. We've got lots of plans if (when) we ever win the lotto, including what we would buy first, what kind of house and cars we would have, who we would give money to and who we would never speak to again lol. Please tell me we aren't the only ones who do this!

Anyway, Jenner wins the lotto and after getting rid of the trash in her life, she moves down to Florida to become a "socialite". Seven years later, she is finally happy and has become good friends with Sydney Hazlett, who was born into her money and has a kind heart. Syd talks Jenner into going on a charity cruise, but they never get to enjoy the incredible buffets or excursions, because they are both kidnapped and held hostage the entire time by a group of "bad guys". Or so we are led to think at first.

Jenner (I almost wrote Jennifer out of habit lol) makes it onto the cruise ship, but is being held hostage by a huge hunk of menacing man named Cael. They butt heads repeatedly but somewhere along the way start falling for each other. There's plenty of sarcastic one-liners traded but also some steamy love scenes and lots of action.

No comments:

Post a Comment