Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Review: "Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist"

Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist by Rachel Cohn & David Levithan
3 out of 5 stars

I finally got this at HPB recently because I loved the movie so much and wanted to see how the book stands up. And I've decided that I am a person who needs to read the book before seeing the movie because it was too hard to separate the two in my head. What about you? Book or movie first or doesn't matter?

So, if you've never seen or read it, here's the basic story: nice boy gets heart stomped on by bad girl, semi-nice girl gets ditto by bad boy, nice boy & semi-nice girl meet under strange circumstances, have first date spanning one night in New York, maybe fall in love, possibly learn things about themselves in the process, definitely have a wild adventure. There is also: music of the indie-rock persuasion, lots of sex, drugs, and rock & roll, plenty of cursing, girls chasing boys, boys chasing girls, boys chasing boys, and more. If you are of a nature that takes offense to any of those things, this is not the book for you and I'd just stop reading this review right now. Might I suggest Bad News Ballet or Anne of Green Gables? :)

Norah comes across as a total bad-ass, rocker chick who takes no flack from anyone. But under the flannel and leather is a sensitive girl who wants people to like her for her not for who her dad is. And she doesn't find that often. Nick is the insecure, wanna-be rocker who shows her not all people suck and maybe she can find love after all, if she just lets the bad stuff go.

“Fuck this. Fuck this wondering. Fuck this trying and trying. Fuck this belief that two people can become one ideal. Fuck this helplessness. Fuck this waiting for something to happen that probably won't ever happen.” 

As you can see, I didn't have a problem with the language. That's how teens talk. To make yourself sound cooler and more grown-up than you actually are. I also didn't have a problem with their adventure thru the city, like I've seen in a lot of reviews. New York is kind of like another world (like Texas lol) and I think it's completely realistic for these teens to have the run of the city, experiencing life and music like that. And that's about all I have to say about the book itself, but I created my own version of Nick & Norah's playlist. It's part songs that reminded me of the book and their story and part songs that I think N&N would like themselves...I hope you enjoy it! :)





No comments:

Post a Comment