Monday, April 28, 2014

Review: "Haunted"

Haunted by Eileen Maksym
4 out of 5 stars

A very good Twitter friend suggested this book to me...it is a first novel written by a close friend of hers and she thought I might enjoy it and be able to pass it on to my few loyal followers here. :) (Thanks to those sticking with me still btw! I'm trying my hardest to get back into the blogging thing.) I have to say, starting out, I wasn't sure about the story but I am very glad I kept reading. I thoroughly enjoyed it and think Maksym has a talent for telling spooky, hair-raising tales. This is definitely a good read for around Halloween.

There was a distant rumble of thunder. Paul stepped beside her. "Yeah, nice of the weather to cooperate with a haunted house investigation."

Haunted is a quick read, only around 120 pages, and leaves you wanting more. And as always, if the biggest problem you can find with a book is that you want it to be longer, than that's a pretty darn good book. We don't get a lot of back story on the three main characters: college-aged friends Steven, Tara, and Paul. And Maksym makes us want that back story. How did these 3 kids start hunting ghosts? How and when did Paul get his special talent? What is the full story about Tara's family?

The 3 ghostbusters find out about an empty house in the area that has supposedly been haunted for 40+ years. They get in touch with the homeowners and get permission to do some investigating with their paranormal equipment. And sure enough, there are some ghosts there, but not the ones they were expecting. Someone from one of their pasts shows up and they are not Casper the Friendly Ghost. And seriously? I got a little freaked reading that part. And also the real story on the house's ghosts that they find after a little digging in the library. Okay, actually there were several times that just wigged me out lol...I'm a bit of a weenie.

So if you're a weenie like me, you can still read this book. Just do it in the middle of the afternoon when the sun is shining and there are plenty of (living) people in the house, but make sure they can't sneak up on you! Oh and watch out for jumpy cats who like to stare at the wall behind you until you're sure there's a giant spider hanging over your shoulder. Yeah, don't read this with them in the room. But do read it! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment