Monday, November 16, 2015

Review: "Kristy's Great Idea: The Baby-Sitters Club Graphic Novel #1"

Kristy's Great Idea: The Baby-Sitters Club Graphic Novel #1 by Raina Telgemeier
5 out of 5 stars

I've seen these graphic novels before in the store but it wasn't until the new color version came out this year that I decided I had to have them. And I am so glad I did; they are definite buys for any diehard BSC fans! Obviously, we all know the story by now: "...make one call and reach a whole bunch of [sitters] at once." Four friends get together and change childcare in Stoneybrook forever; daycares and au pairs everywhere weep. If you need more detail, head on over to my very first BSC review and enjoy! :)

The artist does a great job bringing these girls to life. They're age appropriate (even more than the book covers, in my opinion) and the attention to detail is almost perfect. I say "almost" because there were a few things that slipped by. My biggest complaint was Claudia's outfits and purple streak in her hair. I really wish they had drawn her exact outfits from the book and I don't recall her ever having colored hair. (I'd say that's a little too permanent for her parents.) Her room is also a lot neater and plainer than in the books, but I guess that would get tiresome to draw every time. And a minor detail: in the end, Stacey adds up their sitting money to $52.75 instead of the original $26.75, which seems a lot more accurate to me anyway. In the book, I can't remember if it tells how Mary Anne's mom died? Here they say cancer.

Other than these small things, the graphic novel is very true to the book and just adds a richness to the story with the pictures. I loved seeing all the background characters come to life. We get such a clear picture of the 4 girls but sometimes the family members and sitting charges are a little fuzzy. Karen Brewer and Morbidda Destiny were probably my favorite. (I always pictured Boo-Boo as a black kitty though.) I think I'm more terrified of the witch now than just reading the book lol. I'm super excited to read the next book. Wouldn't it be awesome if they did the first Super Special?

No comments:

Post a Comment