Tuesday, September 4, 2018

Review: "Mary Anne Saves the Day: The Baby-Sitters Club Graphic Novel #3"

Mary Anne Saves the Day: The Baby-Sitters Club Graphic Novel #3 by Raina Telgemeier
4 out of 5 stars

Claudia's purple hair is still driving me crazy, but at least they're being consistent. I really love that they're continuing these graphic novels. They're a great way for new fans to get introduced to the series and for old fans (like me lol) to have something new to take them back to their childhood. Again, the cover outfits and styling are pretty accurate, which is nice. Although, is Claudia wearing Uggs??

Okay, brief review of the plot if you've forgotten (or go read my original review here): Kristy takes a job for Jamie & Lucy Newton without offering it to the others first and causes the BSCers first big fight. Lots of name-calling and tears. Mary Anne meets the new girl, Dawn Schafer, and they totally hit it off. Mary Anne saves the day (see what I did there?) when Jenny Prezzioso gets super sick. The BSCers realize they're being stupid after they nearly ruin Jamie's party, they make up, and ask Dawn to join the club.
 (click any of the pictures to make bigger and see details!)

Now let's talk details. Once again, love the artwork and seeing the minor characters come to life. I never pictured Mary Anne's dad with a hipster beard though. Dawn is pretty plain but at least they got her long blonde hair right. And she has peace earrings on. But I just realized they never show Jeff, that's weird. The Prezzioso's are exactly how I pictured. Oh no, do you think they'll do Mimi's book? I don't think I could handle that one in a graphic novel!

And it was so much fun to see the Pike family!! There are so many of them lol...

There's a bit of upgrading...Dawn has a DVD player (but they still watch The Parent Trap, thank goodness) and Claudia plays CD's. And we get extra background, like finding out Mary Anne's mom died of cancer. I don't think we ever know that in the regular books, do we? I kind of thought she died during childbirth. Mary Anne visits her mom's grave at one point too. Oh and Mr Prezzioso gives Dawn & Mary Anne $50 each instead of $10 wow!!

Overall, another great book that stays true to the originals in all the best ways. And did you see that Kristy's Big Day just came out? With that awful yellow dress lol. I hope they eventually do go back and do the ones they skipped though. That bothers my little organized brain. :D

4 comments:

  1. I picked up the 4 b&W Raina Telgemeier books a few years back, I didn't know they were continuing with new graphix BSC, that's fun. I did think it was pity Dawn missed out original. I like the idea of streamlining the series to the more important books (i.e skipping over claudia and phantom calls)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that they're in color now, I think that really makes all the difference. And that they seem to be having a big comeback with new generations. :D

      Delete
    2. Looked at preview of Dawn and the Impossible 3, seems they moved Mallory up to joining the club in that book, that will change Jessi's introduction, when it comes around.Interesting stuff!

      Delete
    3. That's right, I remember reading that in the summary! That will be odd since the rest have been so (mostly) consistent with the original books. I can't wait to read it though and see how it goes!

      Delete