Friday, March 6, 2020

5 5-Star Books I've Read in the Last Year

The Starless Sea by Erin Morgenstern
A story about stories. Adventure, fairy-tales, contemporary romance, pirates, secret book groups, timeless love, twists and turns, endless libraries, Harry Potter and Where the Wild Things Are references. This book has it all. The Night Circus was my favorite book in 2013 and I've been waiting breathlessly for her to release another book. I was absolutely not disappointed, but I know some people were. This is a love/hate book. You will have strong feelings for it. Luckily for me, they were strong feelings of "omg I adored this book, it sucked me in and didn't let go!"
Not all stories speak to all listeners, but all listeners can find a story that does, somewhere, sometime. In one form or another.


The Girl Who Drank the Moon by Kelly Barnhill
"Every year, the people of the Protectorate leave a baby as an offering to the witch who lives in the forest. They hope this sacrifice will keep her from terrorizing their town." But it turns out that Xan, the witch, isn't terrorizing their town, in fact she thinks the town people are a little crazy, leaving innocent babies in the woods each year. So she feeds them on moonlight and takes them to the next village over, where the people are more than happy to raise the star children. Xan just wants to live peacefully in her swamp with her swamp monster friend and tiny dragon who doesn't know he's tiny. Then she accidentally feeds a baby too much moonlight and things change forever. This middle-grade book broke my heart for awhile but then put it back together.
How many feelings can one heart hold?... Infinite, Luna thought. 
The way the universe is infinite. It is light and dark and endless motion; 
it is space and time, and space within space, and time within time. 
And she knew: there is no limit to what the heart can carry.


Pumpkinheads by Rainbow Rowell
This graphic novel will have you yearning, yearning I say!, for crisp fall weather, caramel apples, and all things pumpkin (even if you can't stand pumpkin any other time of the year). Think if this was made into a cartoon special! It would become an instant classic, like It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown. Deja & Josiah are seasonal bffs who work each fall at the local pumpkin patch. It's their last year & they want to have the best night possible. And they totally do. I want to reread this now but I will restrain myself. Maybe.
Like every autumn smell all at once.


We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson
A dark twisty tale that will leave you breathless at the end. Two sisters and their uncle live together in a large old house after the rest of the family dies under suspicious circumstances. They do not like to go into town or interact with anyone outside their little circle. Until they are forced to and bad things happen. I was completely bewitched by this classic from the very first page. When I finished, I hungered for more and more.
On the moon we have everything. 
Lettuce, and pumpkin pie and Amanita phalloides. 
We have cat-furred plants and horses dancing with their wings. 
All the locks are solid and tight, and there are no ghosts.


The Remarkable Journey of Coyote Sunrise by Dan Gemeinhart
For 5 years, Coyote and her dad, Rodeo, have been travelling the country in their renovated school bus. They are running from sadness but eventually it will catch up to them. I love roadtrip stories and this one was full of adventure, quirky friends they meet along the way, crazy animals, laughter, songs, tears, and everything you need! When I finished this book, I wondered if I could have a favorite author after only one book. I haven't read any of his others yet, so I'm not sure, but if they're like this one then he will definitely be in the running!
I just wanted everyone to be happy...
It's hard, though, when everyone carries around a heart 
inside them that is so loud and so strong and so easily broken.

No comments:

Post a Comment