Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Review: "Graceling"

Graceling by Kristin Cashore
4 out of 5 stars

My stepmom loaned me this book, saying I would really enjoy it. And I did! This is actually the first in 3 "Seven Kingdom" books, but I don't know that I will read the other 2 anytime soon since they are not actual sequels, but 3 different stories set in the same time period and place. That's kind of disappointing because I would love to read more about Katsa and Po.

I know a lot of people didn't like this book at all, because of Katsa's anti-marriage and children attitude, but it didn't bother me as much. Yes, it bothered me a little, particularly her "all men are bad, evil creatures" mantra, but I took it as part of who she was and how she was brought up. Also, her name bothered me as I kept wanting to call her Katniss lol.

A monster that refused, sometimes, to behave like a monster. When a monster stopped behaving like a monster, did it stop being a monster? Did it become something else?

Katsa is "Graced" with a skill from birth, giving her one green eye and one blue, that leads to her becoming the King's "hired thug" so to speak. She hates it and him. But she's learned to use her Grace to become strong, determined and not the type of girl to fall down in the forest sobbing when her man leaves her. *ahem*Bella*ahem*. Even when she meets Prince Po, who is seemingly perfect. And gorgeous. And hiding a secret of his own. I love Prince Po. He's so cool.

This book is full of adventure and mischief, a little bit of romance, a generous helping of sarcasm and wit, some comedic moments, some heart-breaking moments...it really has it all. And in writing this review, I've changed my mind about reading the other 2 in the series lol. So I'm going to try to pick them up this weekend at the library! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment