Sunday, February 3, 2013

She's Crafty...She's Just My Type

Part of my resolutions for this year was to be more crafty and create more things. Well, I always participate in a Secret Snowflake on this website I'm a member of and it has really helped me get my crafty mojo going again. :) This year, my partner wanted something Anne of Green Gables inspired and as you may or may not know, I fell in love with this book (and movie) and was very excited to come up with something. I was pretty happy with what I ended up with, so I decided to share it with you!

I knew I wanted to do some kind of embroidery, so I found these vintage sewing cards on Pinterest and thought the black-haired girl would look like Anne. Then I had to try and draw her. I am not an artist. My drawings (especially people) usually turn out very badly. Like Michael Jackson/Lord Voldemort post nose surgery. Yeah. But, I was very careful and copied her line for line and did a lot of erasing and this is what I came up with.

Pretty decent, right? Once I decided I liked her (and got approval from my sister who is a MUCH better artist), I had to figure out what to put her on. I had a thin canvas tote bag and thought that would be perfect. I decided to add a quote from the book and thought I was going to embroider that too, but realized that would take way too long. So I painted it on using fabric paint and freehanded the quote. I'm not crazy about the painting, I didn't give myself enough time to wash it and start over if needed, but it's okay. Nobody's perfect. :) Then I had to draw Anne again onto a piece of cotton with the washable marker and I got to embroidering. I was very happy with how she turned out, that is some of the neatest stitching I've done in a long time lol. (And it has been a very long time since I've even done any embroidering.) Here she is all done:


And here is the bag with the quote: "It's delightful when your imaginations come true, isn't it?"


What do you think? Did I do Anne-girl justice? :) I hope you've enjoyed this special crafty post. And here's a bonus shot of my Snowflake's gifties all wrapped up. Oh and she loved it btw!!

No comments:

Post a Comment