Monday, November 4, 2013

Review: "If Only We"

If Only We by Jessica Sankiewicz
3.5 out of 5 stars

I requested this eBook ARC from the author because it sounded really interesting. She's not paying me for this review or anything like that. ;) Okay, let me just say this first-I really enjoyed the story overall. I think it was an excellent first book and I'm totally jealous because I've already given up on NaNoWriMo lol.

Adrienne is at odds with her family and closest friends and she's pretty sure it all goes back to her actions on the day of her high school graduation. When she gets a chance to go back and fix her mistakes, will she be able to or will she just be doomed to repeat herself over and over? I love a good time-traveling book and this was definitely a good one. Adrienne is a likable character and I connected with her story. It's hard trying to make people happy when it conflicts with what would make *you* happy. This book has its serious moments and it made me tear up but it also had some fun, light-hearted passages.

There were some great secondary characters too. Stepsister Kaitlin was sweet but a little underdeveloped to me. I couldn't figure out her age until about halfway thru the book and I wanted her to have a little more personality. I would have loved to hear more of her story. Lindsay, Adrienne's BFF and cousin, was the perfect amount of outspoken sassiness and caring individual. And then there's Chevy, the boy. Excuse me..THE Boy. :) I liked Chevy, he was totally swoon worthy. He was equal parts serious brooding boy and fun-loving karaoke dude.


There was really only one big thing I didn't like about the story. Adrienne is being pushed into becoming a nurse by her mom, following in her footsteps. I get that. But I don't get the big push to find a new career immediately after she decides to not go the nursing route. She starts looking for careers online and when Lindsay suggests she start sewing and make a business out of that, Adrienne jumps on it and just assumes that it's all going to work out. Why couldn't she just go to college and do her basics and decide in a year or two what she wants to focus on? That's what most people do. It just didn't ring true to me.

Also, a small thing, but the writing seemed a little forced at times and some of the conversations didn't sound natural. "I intended to do so but, for some reason, I was possessed to keep it." That just doesn't sound like an 18 year old boy to me. But honestly, I think that will just become better with practice and more books. And I really hope there are more books to come. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment