Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Top Ten Tuesday: My 10 Favorite YA Books

I thought it was time (beyond) for me to do another TTT with The Broke & The Bookish ladies, so this week is as good as any! :) We all know I love me some young adult books, but I'm going to attempt to narrow it down to the very best of the best. And I'm just going to skip Harry Potter, because obviously it would be #1 lol. In no particular order, here we go!

1. The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak -I didn't get a chance to see this movie in the theaters and that makes me so sad. I think this book is destined to become a classic for future generations.

2. Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell -it has been a very long time since a book has felt like "me" in such a strong sense as this one. If you pin every Tom Hiddleston meme you can find or quote Troop Beverly Hills at least once a day or fantasize about which Hogwarts house you would get sorted into, then this is the book for you. Fangirls, rejoice! We have found our leader and her name is Rainbow!! ;) (Or if you have a tendency to be over-dramatic...)

3. Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher -if you were one of the "popular" kids in high school, you won't "get" this book. You'll wonder what the big deal is or why the girl was so selfish or why she singled out these kids for causing her pain. But if you were/are on the outskirts or just feel like you are, then this book will make you take an honest look at things.

4. Anna & The French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins -this is just the ultimate contemporary romance for me. Period. The End.

5. Amy & Roger's Epic Detour by Morgan Matson -I didn't expect to love this book as much as I did. At first, you think it's just going to be a typical summer romance, but it grows into much more than that.

6. The Sky is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson -I still haven't gotten that old spark of creativity back that I felt when I first read this book. Maybe I need to go reread it soon. I still think it's an odd reaction to have to this book, but it just made me want to be a better person. I've got an awesome project planned for this summer that I think will help with that. (More details in May probably, sorry for the teaser!!)

7. Gone series by Michael Grant -my 14 year old sister wouldn't start this series because it's not in 3rd person or something like that. (It's been too long since I've had to remember narrative tenses.) She's such a weirdo, that is the strangest reason to not read a story I've ever heard! Please don't be like her, if you've never read this! It is an amazingly intricate and gripping story of a town where everyone over the age of 14 suddenly disappears one day. And it just keeps getting crazier and more interesting until the very last book.

8. Morganville Vampire series by Rachel Caine -another awesome YA series, this one for those who got swept away in the vampire craze, but don't want to read Twilight again. What happens when the vamps run the town and they aren't fluffy bunnies? (Except their slippers lol.)

9. The Outsiders by SE Hinton -I had to include at least one classic, right? This one came teen approved by the above sister and it's amazing how much it still stands up after 40+ years.

10.I couldn't come up with a 10th book, so I'm going to ask you for your favorite young adult book. My list is a lot of newer books (on purpose), what am I missing from the last few years? What's your favorite YA classic? Talk to me, people! :)

1 comment:

  1. I've heard so many great things about the books on your list though I've never actually read them AHHH!!

    *MUST* *HAVE TO* *READ THEM*

    My favourite YA.. Umm because I'm just back from Divergent movie and STILL DRUNK ON DAUNTLESS HIGH so I'm going with DIVERGENT!!!! <3

    Alicia @ Summer Next Top Story

    ReplyDelete