Thursday, March 31, 2016

Author Meetings: Morgan Matson & Marissa Meyer

I've been to two different author signings/talks this year already so I thought I'd talk about them in a bit more detail here. (As opposed to the quickie posts on Facebook and Instagram.) Also, I'm going to the NTTBF again with my middle sister in April and I'm super excited about that! If you're in the DFW area, you should definitely go. :) Gayle Forman will be there!!

Okay, so at the end of January, my local library was having a "Daring Reads YA Panel". Jessica Brody, Lori Goldstein, Jenny Martin, Julie Murphy, and Morgan Matson were discussing their new & upcoming books and also what it meant to "read daringly". I 100% went just for Morgan Matson because I absolutely love her books, but I really enjoyed the panel overall. Julie Murphy is self-deprecating in a humorous way (at one point she covered her head with her jacket because she couldn't believe what she had just said) and I went away with a list of Jessica Brody's upcoming books that I wanted to buy. Also, there were cupcakes yum! (A book event with cupcakes is the best book event, in my opinion.) I got my copy of Amy & Roger's Epic Detour signed and picked up a couple of cute buttons. No pictures with Morgan, but she was so nice, as were all the authors even after I confessed I'd never read any of their books! It was a very nice, mellow event with just the right amount of people.

Unfortunately, the next signing I went to was NOT a nice, mellow event. A week after the above, Marissa Meyer was coming to the library and obviously, I wanted to go. I loved The Lunar Chronicles and very much wanted to pick up her short story anthology, Stars Above, which was going to be for sale at the event. My first sign that this was going to be a bit more crowded was that I had to get a numbered ticket for the signing ahead of time. I got to the library 2 hours early and picked up my ticket...numbered 253 O.o There ended up being well over 400 people and that library is just not equipped for those kind of crowds. They had the 2 big conference rooms opened up but they were absolutely packed in and there were STILL people who had to sit in the lobby and just listen to Marissa! I felt so bad for them, except the girl we heard shriek in the hall when she won the giveaway lol. And they sold out of the books before Marissa even came out so I ended up going to Half Price Books afterwards to pick it up. I'm not sure if I'll go to another event there, especially if it's ticketed.

Now that the bad stuff is out of the way, let's talk about Marissa. She was awesome and gracious and funny and if you get the chance to see her, you should. (Just get there super early!) She told the true story of The Little Mermaid which is sad and gruesome and I discovered that I've been saying Iko wrong all this time. It's EE-ko not Eye-ko. I hate when that happens. And she also told us a bit about the new graphic novel series she's writing, featuring Iko...so excited!! Oh and when she came out, we all sang Deep in the Heart of Texas to her (because "the stars are bright" lol.) Obviously I didn't wait around to get my book signed (I gave my ticket to some girls in the lobby who were in the 300+) and this is the only picture I got of her. The Lunar banner behind her was very cool. 

So that's the 2 events I've gone to so far this year. It's funny how into author events I've gotten in the last year. (Check out the "Author Signing" tag below to see them all.) I am still very choosy about what books I get signed, they really have to mean something to me and be something that I will treasure. And I'm not going to get a whole series signed, that just seems crazy to me. (But to each their own.) But I've really enjoyed listening to the authors talk about their work and personal lives. I can't wait to see what the rest of the year brings!

No comments:

Post a Comment