Thursday, March 8, 2012

Review: "The Carrie Diaries" 1-2

The Carrie Diaries 1 by Candace Bushnell
2 out of 5 stars

My sister checked these books out at the library and I was bored one day, so I picked up the first one. It was okay, nothing special really, unfortunately. We've seen most of Sex & The City TV show (in edited reruns) and we own both the movies, so it seemed like a logical choice that we would enjoy the books. We've never read any of the first SATC books though, so maybe that makes a difference?

Anyway, like I said it's an average book about young Carrie in high school. If you've watched the show, you'll notice several discrepancies, the most obvious being that Carrie has 2 sisters here and that she can cook quite well. In the show, I'm pretty sure she was an only child and I know she didn't cook (because she stored her sweaters in the oven lol). It's things like that that really bug me. I mean the author knows how the show went, I'm sure she helped write some of it or at least had some say on the details. Why would she go and change things in a prequel that she knows true fans are going to devour and dissect? Okay, done ranting.

Young Carrie is still very into fashion and writing, but doesn't have the charisma that old(er) Carrie does. She's insecure in her writing and becomes an "anonymous" on the school paper. She lets the cool older chick who dresses like Madonna run all over her and beat her down. And worst of all, she lets a boy make her feel inferior and unsure of herself. *shakes head*

Spoilers ahead for the very end of this book and then on to book 2, which is obviously a spoiler for book 1. :)

I kept wondering and wondering if we were going to meet any of the other SATC girls and it really irked me that she waited until the last page (I think it was the last page? Close enough.) to give us a glimpse of Samantha Jones. Turns out she's Donna LaDonna (Madonna girl)'s cousin (who is now sort of friends with Carrie) and has offered her assistance in big, bad New York City if Carrie ever makes it there. So we get this tiny glimmer of exciting in an otherwise dull book and that one little piece makes you want to read the sequel dang it!

The Carrie Diaries 2: Summer & The City by Candace Bushnell
3 out of 5 stars

Luckily, the 2nd book was much, much better than the first. To me anyway. Carrie is finally in the city where she belongs, she's friends with the wild Samantha Jones, and she's going to become Famous. This is the Carrie I was waiting for in the first book...she's more confident (although still gets taken in by the older man), she seeks out vintage and wild clothes to make an "ensemble", she parties with Samantha (a lot) and she's writing (a little).

Samantha is pretty much the same as in the TV show, except she's engaged...don't worry though, she's only in it for the money lol. Also, she might want kids someday? Carrie also meets Miranda, the young, extreme feminist. Miranda is a total man-hater who protests outside Saks and thinks falling in love, getting married and having children is the stupidest thing a woman can do. And Charlotte? Well, that's kind of a spoiler so you'll just have to read the book and find out, now won't you?

This book shows Carrie doing plenty of stupid things, but it also shows her growing into the strong girl we know in the show (and the other books? I don't know, I haven't read them. My sis is considering it, but I don't know if I ever will.) I'm glad I read this one, especially after the first, but will I read a 3rd if one comes out? Meh. Probably. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment