Friday, September 6, 2013

Review: "Saga: Vol Two"

Saga: Vol Two by Brian K Vaughan
3 out of 5 stars

This review may (probably) contain spoilers for Volume 1, so stop here if you haven't read it yet and want to!



The intergalactic love story of Marko and Alana continues but this volume fell a little flat for me, compared to the first. I think my main problem was that it felt rushed...it could have been 50-100 pages longer and I would have been happy. I would have also been extremely happy if my dad (who loaned it to me) had censored this book for me ahead of time. I'm just going to warn you now...this is what you have to look forward to, minus the black censor bar! O_o So if you get offended easily, this is so not the book for you. But then, if you got offended by the first book, you definitely wouldn't be reading this one lol.

Okay, so the story started out decent. Hazel, Marko & Alana's child, is still narrating the story from some distant future. Marko's parents have arrived on their ship and think they are rescuing him from Alana, which is obviously not the case. I really liked Marko's dad, Barr. His interactions with Alana were a pleasure to read and his secrets were so intriguing, I wanted to know more about him. His mom, not so much. She was kind of a b-. There were several flashbacks in this arc, about how Marko & Alana first met and also Marko as a child, that helped weave the story together.

We also get more of my personal favorite character, bounty hunter The Will and his partner Lying Cat. I love that cat lol. He is still on the trail of the 2 soldiers but can't get his mind off the 2 girls he lost in the previous story. When he teams up with a new person (who happens to be an important figure from someones past) he gets the chance to right some wrongs. This new person is super intriguing as well, I can't wait to read more about them. Because, of course, this volume ends on a cliffhanger as well. Gah, so annoying! Seriously, I'll just let y'all know when the whole series is out and you can just binge on it then, okay? ;)
(this was my favorite page in the book)

No comments:

Post a Comment