Monday, March 23, 2015

Review: "Hold Me Closer: The Tiny Cooper Story"

 Hold Me Closer: The Tiny Cooper Story by David Levithan
3 out of 5 stars

I'm not really sure how I felt about this book, even a week later. I really enjoyed Will Grayson, Will Grayson and I loved Tiny (like everyone else) so I was pretty excited to hear that he was getting his own story. And when I saw it was going to be available early at the NTTBF, I was over the moon. Then I opened it and saw the...interesting format. Maybe you haven't heard of this book yet and want to be completely surprised? If so, stop reading here.

Before going further, I recommend putting on your favorite musical soundtrack or Broadway playlist in Pandora. It really sets the mood. :) Tiny Cooper is written as a "musical novel", which essentially means it is his musical script (from the end of WG2) with extra notes about stage direction, how the actors should be feeling at certain times, and whatever Tiny seems to be thinking at the time. Most of the story is told thru song, which is honestly a little hard to read, even if you are "musically inclined". I think it would make an excellent audio book though, I can totally see/hear that!


Aside from the format, we've got the story itself...which is basically Tiny's story in WG2. There really isn't any new material and that made me sad. I think that does a disservice to Tiny, in a way. I mean yes, there are some really beautiful parts to his story, such as when he finally comes out to his parents and they are completely understanding or when Tiny tries to figure out what is missing in his life. (Fun fact: "Without Love" from Hairspray is playing right now.)

I was hoping to see Tiny grow (not literally lol) though and *spoiler: highlight* maybe get back with boyfriend WG or at least be happy with himself. Or even Tiny in college. Wouldn't that be great? Maybe there will be another WG2 or Tiny Cooper story in the future. Even if it's another musical novel, I would still read it. Also, it's too bad Glee is over now because they would rock a Tiny Cooper musical!!

Maybe there is something you're afraid to say, or someone you're afraid to love, or somewhere you're afraid to go. It's gonna hurt. It's gonna hurt because it matters.

But I just fell and landed and I am still standing here to tell you that you've gotta learn to love the falling, because it's all about the falling.

Just fall for once. Let yourself fall!

No comments:

Post a Comment