Thursday, October 26, 2017

TILT: Spooky Reads for Halloween!

Continuing my Halloween obsession for this week's Things I Love Thursday, I'm going to share the books I picked out to get me in the spine tingling, hair raising, hold back a shriek of terror, Halloween mood! And hey, share your favorite spooky reads too...I always love getting new recommendations for next year.


These are the books I finally settled on to actually read. I always remembered Die Softly as being one of my favorite Christopher Pike books, but wow it did not live up to the memories! I recommend Master of Murder instead. The Bad News Ballet (or Scrambled Legs) book was a fun quick read one evening. And I just started Bad Girls Don't Die a few nights ago and am enjoying it so far. Not sure if I'll get to Steinbeck's Ghost but since he's my favorite author, I just had to pick this one up.


I was reading TheBookRat's blog yesterday and they had some awesome Halloween recommendations, but the one that stood out the most for me was The Accident Season. The Goodreads summary:

It's the accident season, the same time every year. Bones break, skin tears, bruises bloom.

The accident season has been part of seventeen-year-old Cara's life for as long as she can remember. Towards the end of October, foreshadowed by the deaths of many relatives before them, Cara's family becomes inexplicably accident-prone. They banish knives to locked drawers, cover sharp table edges with padding, switch off electrical items - but injuries follow wherever they go, and the accident season becomes an ever-growing obsession and fear.

But why are they so cursed? And how can they break free?

Doesn't that sound intriguing? I immediately went to Amazon and ordered it; it should be here just in time for the weekend. I can't wait! (I may have also bought 2 Christmas books. :D I gotta get started early lol.)

Another fun one I picked up at the Half Price Books clearance sale last weekend was this Zombie Haiku poetry book by Ryan Mecum. It's got some surprisingly good little poems mixed in with the funny and gruesome. I'm trying to read a few each day.

And that's what I'm loving this week! What about you? Are you into themed seasonal reads or no? What books or tv shows or movies are you obsessed with right now? I've extended my theme into my tv shows even and am loving a children's/young adult tv series on Netflix called The Worst Witch. It's like Harry Potter, but all girls! I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment