Monday, May 21, 2012

Review: "The Princess Bride" Classic a Month #5

The Princess Bride by William Goldman
3 out of 5 stars

I was told by many that they considered this a modern classic, so I counted it as my April book. :) The main reason I even picked it up though, was because Mark of Mark Does Stuff was going to be reading it and I thought it would be fun to read along with him. (He is currently reading Neil Gaiman's Sandman series for the first time and also watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer & Angel concurrently on Mark Watches, so I highly suggest you check both of those out as well!) As a child of the 80s, I've seen the movie many times and loved it, though it's been a very long time since the last.

I did enjoy the book overall, but it had its moments where I was wondering if I was even going to finish it. So I don't know that I have a lot to actually say about it. If you've never read the book or seen the movie (and really, you should at least watch the movie) this is technically a story about a boy and a girl and their love conquering all. But underneath, it's about revenge and miracles and family (by blood and by choice) and words. What words mean and how we use them and why.

"Inconceivable!" You keep using that word! I don't think it means what you think it does.


Buttercup is seriously a brat and Westley is a bit of a jerk, but you still want their love to survive. And you certainly don't want her to end up with that sadistic Prince Humperdinck. You know, this review is really going nowhere and probably is not going to make any sense at all if you don't know anything about The Princess Bride but meh...I'm just going to go with it. :)

As you wish. You know what's a fun game? Saying that in reply to everything your sister (brother, boyfriend, etc...) says to you. Drives them batty lol. Also, this: My name is Inigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die! I love Inigo. And Fezzik. Oh Fezzik, you break my heart with your gentle giantness and rhyming words. I would read a whole book just about Inigo and Fezzik growing old together.

No comments:

Post a Comment