Friday, October 26, 2012

An Update on My Resolutions

It's coming to the end of the 10th month and the end of the year is looming closer (I am so not ready for the holiday season) so I thought I'd do a quick recap of my resolutions that I made for this year and see how I'm doing. And if I need to pick up the slack anywhere these last 2 months. :)

So here are my goals that I made for the year:

I like the idea of having a word theme for the year so I've decided my word is "ORGANIZE". Organize my house (hanging pictures on our walls finally!), organize my books (new bookshelf?? I wish/hope!), organize my blog (at least 2 a week), etc...


1. Use libraries more 
2. Read one "Classic" book per month 
3. Do not buy books unless they're going to be read 
4. Buy books without looking up the reviews first 
5. Reread books
6. Keep a reading journal (blog)
7. Read less, enjoy more

And my progress:

We have been doing fairly good on the Organize front. We do have some pictures up on the walls finally, I did redo my books (I still need to do a shelf tour!), and my blog has been doing fairly decent (except for recently boo). But...we could do better. I still haven't hung up the awesome book pictures my mom got me for Christmas (I need dark brown frames) and we need to take some stuff to the Goodwill (this weekend?!).

1. I still go nearly every weekend, but the last 2-3 haven't been very productive. I tend to get too distracted by shiny things (books, people, Pinterest...) if I'm there by myself lol. And my sis has declared it "booooooring" so she won't go anymore.

2. Yes, I am!! :) See my "Classic a Month" tag to the right for all my reviews so far. I am very pleased with myself for doing that and am definitely going to continue it next year.

3. Errr....no. My to-read shelf has grown quite a bit, oopsy. I actually blame blogging for this. If I wasn't finding all these awesome new blogs to read, I wouldn't see the reviews and think "hey, that sounds cool, I should get it!" So it's all y'alls fault! ;)

4. Not so much, because of #3. But I have picked up several random reads at the library and it's worked out fairly decently. (For example: Definitely Not Mr Darcy)

5. Yep, always. :)

6. I've got 115 posts for 2012 so far compared to last year's 70, so I'm obviously blogging more and pretty happy with that. On the other hand, I haven't had an actual review since the 8th of October and that makes me Sad Panda. So I am going to try to get caught up again (although I'll probably never get fully caught up, because I still have books from April to review gah!) and get ahead on my BSC books. I want to be well prepared for the holiday season and not slack off this year, especially at the end of the year, when I will have a whopping 11 days off work!! Woo! :)

7. I don't think I'm reading less, but I do feel I am enjoying my books still. I am right on track to make my Goodreads goal of 130 books, but I'm not sacrificing content for that speed. I think the classics have a lot to do with that, again I am so happy I started that this year. And I encourage you to do a similar goal if you aren't already and find yourself in an endless loop of vampire-werewolf-young adult-emo-teen-drama-13 books in a series-books like I did!

So, that's me! Did you make goals/resolutions for the year? Have you stuck to them or did you totally blow them off? Are you already planning goals for next year? Are you ready for the holiday season or totally unprepared like me?? ;)

(one of my very favorite bookish pictures: Jennifer Zwick "The Reader")

2 comments:

  1. My reading resolutions were: Read more nonfiction (eh, I've read 3 since January, not great, but not bad), and to read one holy book of any religion (reading the Bible, and it's going well). The resolutions were made in the effort to expand my horizons a bit, and I'm glad I made them!

    Your resolutions are great in that that are do-able. A challenge, I'm sure, but not so lofty that they are impossible. I especially like the one about libraries, as using my library has given me access to books that I later buy, knowing that they deserve a place on my shelf. I hate spending money on a book that doesn't meet my expectations! Awesome post, as always :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I definitely agree about using the library as a "sounding board". I don't do it often enough.

      Those sound like great goals! I should try to add some nonfiction to my reading too. Maybe a new goal for next year? :)

      Delete