Last year, I listed my 4 favorite books on the Banned Book list. This year, I want to list a few that I am looking forward to reading or have already read this year.
1. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee --my favorite classic that I have read this year was banned for "offensive language, racism, unsuited to age group". I think people missed the point of this book. It's not "fer racism", it's "agin it".
2. The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky --with the movie coming out, I'm sure this will be on the banned list again next year. In 2009, it was banned for "anti-family, drugs, homosexuality, offensive language, religious viewpoint, sexually explicit". I can't wait to get this one. :)
3. Of Mice & Men by John Steinbeck --challenged constantly, but most recently in 2007 for being "a worthless, profanity-riddled book".
4. Lady Chatterly's Lover by DH Lawrence --banned completely in at least 7 countries, wow. That makes me want to read it even more lol. On my to-read shelf.
5. A Separate Peace by John Knowles --I didn't realize I had so many of these already on my shelves :) This one was challenged for being a "filthy, trashy sex novel".
Other books on my list that have been banned according to Goodreads: The Giver by Lois Lowry, The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood, James & The Giant Peach by Roald Dahl, Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card.
And now, how about some Banned Book love...Pinterest-style. :)
Freadom Poster found on Phronk.com (not sure if that is correct)
I Read Banned Books Embroidery Pattern on UrbanThreads --I would love to have this on a book bag! So cool, I may need to buy it.
A Truly Great Library... found on Stout/Kramer --I agree. I can't tell you how many times I've been offended by those trashy romance books. Hah, I kid, I love those trashy romance books.
I Read Banned Books Sticker by BookFiend --say it loud, say it proud, say it on your vehicle. :)
I just love this pic so much, I'm going to use it every year. :)
Courtesy of the Lisa Simpson Book Club Tumblr