Monday, February 6, 2012

Review: "English as a Second Language"

English as a Second Language by Megan Crane
3 out of 5 stars

This book was kind of meh, but I enjoyed it still. That's a great way to start a review, huh? Lol...okay, it was actually on my to-buy list for a long time, I think maybe from a Goodreads rec? Anyway, I finally saw it one day at HPB so I picked it up. If you're a chicklit/pink book fan, you might want to try it. If you can find it cheap. Yep, I highly, kinda recommend this one.

Alex(andra) lives in New York (I have a mini rant/tangent here: why do all pink books take place in either New York or England?? This one does both...what's wrong with other cities, like Dallas for instance? Annoyingpants.) and is sick of her job, her boyfriend and her life. When said (ex)boyfriend laughs at her sort-of plans to go to graduate school at Oxford, she decides to prove him wrong. Well, sort of. She ends up at some small town college in a jail cell dorm room wondering what the heck she's gotten herself into.

Alex spends most of her days getting drunk and smoking lots of cigarettes with her housemates Cristina & Melanie and fellow students Jason & Toby. She does some readin'&writin' but not much for an English major. Actually she does more drooling & stalking over her professor, Sean, than any learnin'. Oh, and did I mention a lot of drinking? Yeah, a whole lot. There's also a crazy chick, Suzanne, who thinks she's competing with Alex for everything from grades to boys.

So that's basically the whole story. Good right? It actually kind of is lol...especially for a lazing around the house weekend when you really just want to stay curled up in your bed with the covers and your snuggly kitty (or puppy or piglet or whatever) and not do anything except indulge the frivolous fluffy part of your brain. :)

PS: I took this book picture with my cellphone because I forgot to use the camera, is it really horrible? I think it turned out okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment