Monday, September 11, 2017

Review: "Princess Jellyfish vol 2"

Princess Jellyfish vol 2 by Akiko Higashimura
3.5 out of 5 stars

I purchased the first volume of this manga for my younger sister last year and while I'm not sure if she's even read it yet, I have become a big fan. There's something whimsical and sweet about Tsukimi and her clan of Amars. This review will have spoilers for vol 1, so I would definitely stop here and go read my review for it first if you are interested in reading it. And if you're completely new to manga and anime, go check out my beginner's guide that I wrote with the help of my siblings!

This volume picks up where the last ended, with Kuranosuke trying to convince the girls to buy their apartment building so it doesn't get turned into some swanky hotel or parking garage or something. Of course, the girls have no money (you know, since they don't have jobs) so they have to start thinking outside the box. Kuranosuke gets them a spot at a local flea market and tries to sell some old tea sets they found in the attic, but it's actually Tsukimi's little jellyfish plushies that start selling. That gets the ideas flowing and soon they are making jellyfish-inspired dresses. Love.

In romance news, the love triangle (more like a love square?) is still going strong. Kuranosuke doesn't understand how or why he's having these feelings for plain "before" Tsukimi, Tsukimi is still infatuated with K's brother, who is having his own issues after being blackmailed by that suit-wearing temptress. Things get crazy and confusing for awhile and not totally resolved (obviously, or the story would be over).

This volume isn't quite as good as the first but I still enjoyed it. I loved seeing Tsukimi "awaken" and use her passion to help her roommates. And as always, the artwork is exquisite, in particular the color pages. It's also hard to say a lot about the story itself without spoiling a bunch of stuff. So just take my word for it and go read it! :D 

No comments:

Post a Comment