2 out of 5 stars
Okay, let me just get this out of the way right now: this book was boooooring. Nothing really happened, Dawn is kind of one-dimensional and dull most of the time. :( There was plenty of foreshadowing though, so let's go through that first:
1. Dawn goes to sunny, warm, perfect California to visit her dad & Jeff. She misses it terribly and thinks about moving back there permanently, leaving her poor, old mom all alone in Stoneybrook.
2. Dawn meets a hot older guy on the plane and spends the whole flight chatting with him. Doesn't she have a fling with some kid's dad or something later on? No? Kind of?
3. Dawn and Mary Anne's parents have "cooled off" their dating, but "you never know..."
4. Dawn's dad invites the whole BSC to come visit soon, very soon.
And now, a few highlights:
1. Clover & Daffodil, Dawn's favorite kids to babysit in Cali. "Pieces of eight! I'm rich!"
2. Claire Pike: "...streaked up the stairs, waggling her head and crying "Moo!" Was she calling her mother or making cow sounds? Did it matter? This was definitely going to be one of Claire's sillier days."
There aren't really any "What Claudia is Wearing" and Dawn is pretty tame usually (bikini, sundress, hemp clothing, etc...) so guess what? You get another "What Claudia Should Have Been Wearing", or in this case, "What Claudia Would Have Worn to Sunny California" lol...fun fun!!
Claudia took her accessories to the max on this trip: at least 5 different pairs of sunglasses (it's bright there!), bangles, flip-flops, sun hats, a fun octopus beach bag and a cute swimsuit cover-up she had puff painted herself. She brought 2 swimsuits, both bright neon colors of course and a seahorse beach towel she found in one of the local surf shops. Her "going to dinner" outfit was a sunshine yellow strapless dress over purple Capri pants with orange accents. Her outfit to Disneyland was themed, to say the least. Minnie t-shirt, sunglasses, socks, headband over long, straight pigtails, necklace and earrings. Luckily, she didn't see the Minnie underwear!
And before I leave you, I just wanted to repeat what I had said a couple of posts ago, in case you missed it! Once I start reading the next Super Special (2 more regular book reviews), I think I'm going to do a little giveaway on here and my Twitter. What do you think? Would you be interested in a BSC giveaway? I'm planning on doing some other book giveaways later in the year, but thought I'd start with the books that are the whole reason I started this blog. :)