Monday, June 23, 2014

Review: "Frostbite: Vampire Academy Graphic Novel #2"

Frostbite: Vampire Academy Graphic Novel #2 by Richelle Mead
3 out of 5 stars

After I watched the Vampire Academy movie at the beginning of the month, it made me want to read more VA, so I pulled out the second graphic novel that I've been saving for a while now. Not sure why, guess I just wasn't in the mood for it. Like the first graphic novel, this was a decent companion to the books. I would definitely recommend reading the books first, because there will always be some small details left out for space reasons. This review will assume you've read the book as well, so spoilers! :)

The "previously" pages at the beginning were very helpful. I couldn't really remember what happened in the first book, so that was nice. Also got to see half-naked Dimitri again heh... This story is all about the Strigoi attacks against the royal families and of course, Rose is worried about Lissa. The Academy decides to have winter vacation at a fancy ski resort and extra Guardians show up to protect them, including Rose's mom. Her mom is kind of a rhymes-with-witch to her and even manages to give Rose a black eye during a "workout". Thanks, Mom.

There are lots of "adult situations" in this book, between Lissa & Christian (and Rose vicariously, much to her embarrassment), Rose & Dimitri, Rose & Mason, Rose & Adrian...yeah, Rose really does have a "reputation" lol. There wasn't nearly enough Adrian though. Oh, Adrian. You are so yummy mmm...oh sorry, got a little carried away there. ;)

The big scene when the kids get taken by the Strigoi was done well. But I am just now realizing that maybe I got the movie Strigoi mixed up with the graphic novel Strigoi. Were the movie Strigoi blue? I don't think they were. That's annoying. Anyway, they were overly "Dracula-ish" but the fight scene was good. Poor Mason. :( The last few pictures with Rose holding his body were just really perfect. Overall, I think the artwork in this one is a lot better than the first. Except Lissa. There's just something about her I still don't like. (And didn't like the actress in the movie really either. Maybe I just don't like Lissa lol.)

No comments:

Post a Comment