Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Top Ten Tuesday (on Wednesday): My 10 Summer Reads

Aw, I missed a great TTT topic yesterday on The Broke & The Bookish, so I decided to go ahead and do it today! :) I'm going to split it up, like I've seen a few others do, so I give you books that will be in my beach bag (metaphorically, because I don't like most of my books to get anywhere near the water lol) and books that should be in your beach bag!

I do tend to read a lot of Summer Romance Formula books in the summer time, just because I like lighter reading and I usually slow down a lot on my reading due to swimming and general running around more. I'm doing a special fun non-book related project this summer with my sister, which I'll be blogging about on Friday, so that will cut down a lot more on my reading probably this summer too. But not too much of course! Here's what I have planned, in my metaphorical beach bag:

1. The next 2 (3?) books in CL Stone's Ghost Bird series. I have devoured the first 4 books in this series in the last month or so. I don't know what it is about them, but I am totally obsessed. My sister is getting annoyed with me because all I do is read these books.

2. Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events. This was a pre-blogging & Goodreads series that I read, so it's been at least 7 years, and I decided it was time for a reread. Since I'm giving my annual Summer Reread of Harry Potter a break for a few years, I thought this would be a good alternative.

3. More John Steinbeck. This will be the 3rd summer that I've read him and it just feels right. I'm currently reading Travels with Charley and as soon as I opened the first page, I felt like I was home. Do you have an author like that? Harry Potter makes me feel that way too. If you've never read Steinbeck as an adult, I strongly encourage you to go try one of his books.

4. To All the Boys I've Loved Before by Jenny Han. I just picked this one up the other day and am super excited to read it. I loved The Summer I Turned Pretty series, so I know this will be just as good.

5. Reread Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell so I can loan it to my 14 yr old sister :) I don't think she realizes I have it yet or she'd be hounding me for it lol.

6. This One Summer by Mariko Tamaki. This graphic novel just came out in May and it looks so good. Hopefully I'll be able to find it locally.

7. Rules of Summer by Joanne Philbin. This was on my list last year and I never got to it. I hope my library has it now!

Books that should be in your beach bag this summer (besides the above 7 of course!):

1. A classic book that makes you think, just a little bit. Steinbeck, Jane Austen, Harper Lee, Elizabeth Gaskell...all good choices.

2. Anything by Morgan Matson. She seriously knows how to do a good summer book! The perfect amount of heartbreak and friendship, serious talk and lighthearted fun.

3. Any books that fit the Summer Romance Formula. Fun, sun, and romance.

4. Something Real by Heather Demetrios and/or Reality Boy by AS King (double review here). What's better than some good, trashy reality TV shows in the summertime? These books are perfect for that fix but also give you a little bit more.

5. Let's Pretend This Never Happened by Jenny Lawson. I don't know if I would read this one on the beach, because you might get weird stares for laughing hysterically. Maybe listen to it at the pool with several friends? That way you can all be weird together!

6. And let's end with a reread of a book or series you really enjoyed from at least 2 years ago. See if your views have changed on it or if you still love it just as much.
(From the Happy Page by LastLemon)

No comments:

Post a Comment