Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Review: "Polly & The Pirates"


Polly & The Pirates by Ted Naifeh
3 out of 5 stars

My dad had told me about this book a while back and it looked interesting, so he got it for me for Christmas. (Mostly because he wanted to read it too! hah!) It was a cute, quick read but I wish it had been longer. I hope it at least is going to have more volumes in the future.

Polly Pringle is a prim and proper young girl at a boarding school in England until she and her bed are kidnapped by pirates in the middle of the night! Lol...I thought it was amusing they took her straight out the window, bed and all.

Understandably, Polly is a little perturbed at being stolen away to a pirate ship by a bunch of crazy old men with claw hands and really bad accents.
Plus they curse...like, uh, pirates. Luckily, it turns out they don't want to besmirch her innocence; they just want her to become the captain of their ship!

Polly decides they're cuckoo-bananas and escapes back to her boarding school.
Hehe...until that night, when the pirates once again steal her away. Adventure and mayhem ensue, but I'm not going to give too much away!

This was a good read, the illustrations were well done...except for those odd claw hands I mentioned earlier. Apparently the author has issues drawing hands? (I'm not one to criticize though, I can barely draw stick figures!)
And also, Polly's feet. She has funny little nubs for feet. I kept noticing it in every picture lol...

Whew...this was picture heavy for such a short review! I guess that's what you get for a graphic novel review though! Enjoy! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment