Monday, September 26, 2011

It's Banned Book Week...

September 24th-October 1st is Banned Book Week and I thought I'd celebrate with a quick post on some of my favorite banned books. According to Goodreads' Most Frequently Challenged Books List, I've read 42 horrible, shameful, should-be-censored books. ;) Seems like I should be reading more, don't you think? Maybe I'll make that a challenge next year.

(Awesome image found on The Lisa Simpson Book Club Tumbler, which I will be adding to my faves soon!)

1. Harry Potter Series of course...number 1 in 2001 and top 10 in 2002-2003. Banned because it promotes witchcraft and a fantasy life. Well, duh, I'm still waiting for my Hogwarts letter!

2. Their Eyes Were Watching God banned for sexuality in 1997, which coincidentally, is the year I read it in 11th grade English! :) Thanks Mrs S!

3. Hunger Games number 5 for 2010! Banned for being sexually explicit (um, wasn't Katniss completely socially backwards in this aspect?) and the violence. I think these people missed the whole point of this book.

4. My Sister's Keeper number 7 in 2009...I don't really consider this a YA/children's book, so I don't know why it would be on the banned list? Apparently for sexism, violence, suicide and homosexuality (which I don't remember at all, guess I need to do a reread soon!).


So that's just a few books that people think you shouldn't be reading. What do you think? What's your favorite banned book? Not sure? Head to your local library and check some out this week! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment