Thursday, September 29, 2011

Review: "Mary Anne's Bad-Luck Mystery: The Baby-Sitters Club #17"

Mary Anne's Bad-Luck Mystery: The Baby-Sitters Club #17 by Ann M Martin
4 out of 5 stars

Me: Oooh....I remember this one! It's kind of spooky.
Sister: Okay, whatever.
Me: *holds book out to sis* what is Mary Anne wearing??
Sis: Shiny pink pants?
Me: ew. *starts reading* Oooh! There's already a "What Claudia is Wearing"! Ready for it?
Sis: *blank stare*

Me: Okay then! [Claudia] was wearing her vegetable blouse: an oversized white shirt with a green vegetable print all over it - cabbages and squashes and turnips and stuff. [Awww...I just did the hamburger shirt outfit!] Under the blouse was a very short jean skirt, white stockings, green anklets over the stockings, and lavender sneakers, the kind boys usually wear, with a lot of rubber and big laces and the name of the manufacturer in huge letters on the sides. Wait, I'm not done. Claudia had pulled the hair on one side of her head back with a yellow clip that looked like a poodle. The hair on the other side of her head was hanging in her face. Attached to the one ear you could see was a plastic earring about the size of a jar lid. Awesome.


Sis: *blank stare*
Me: *back to reading* Oh! Mary Anne got a chain letter!
Sis: Is someone trying to kill her?
Me: What? No.
Me: Oh! She got a bad-luck charm necklace in the mail!
Sis: Did it choke her to death?
Me: Whaaat? No! She has to wear it "or else".
Sis: Or else what? That's dumb.
Me: I'm getting a little freaked. I may need to put this in the freezer for a while.
Sis: Nerd.
Me: Jackie Rodowsky wants to be a robot for Halloween. Can I be a space cadet? Will you make me a space helmet?
Sis: How the heck am I supposed to make you a space helmet? How about I just hot-glue some Christmas tree toppers to your head?
Me: *pouting* Jackie Rodowsky gets a robot head. Ooops...his costume fell apart.
Uh-oh, Jamie fell down the stairs. Look, this is Jamie *points at cover* he's four.
Sis: No, he's like nine.
Me: No! He's four! Whoa! There was an explosion in the science lab!
Sis: Did anyone die?
Me: And a fire in a trash can!
Sis: Did anyone die?
Me:  They're looking up books on witchcraft in the card catalog at the library.
Sis: What's a card catalog?
Me: *rolls eyes* Logan & Mary Anne are going to the Halloween Hop as cats. Mary Anne is wearing a leotard and tights. For somebody so shy, she sure is showing off her body.
Sis: I think I want to be a 50s girl. With pink hair. I really want a wig! And I'm totally keeping them after! And we'll get you a purple wig! Yeah! And I'll keep yours too!
Me: Oh! Cokie Mason said "nice bad-luck charm". I bet she sent it to her!
Sis: What's a Cokie Mason? Is she going to kill her?
Me: Oh my goshness! Mary Anne got a letter telling her and the BSC to go to Old Man Hickory's tombstone on Halloween at midnight!!!
Sis: Are they going to kill someone?
Me: They figured out it was Cokie. They're going to get even with her.
Sis: By killing her?
Me: Dude. Nobody dies in this book. Mimi dies later on and it's very sad, but no one kills her.
Sis: What kind of mystery series is this??
Me: It's not a mystery series! I haven't even started those yet.
Sis: Oh. That's boring.
Me: I am totally turning this into my blog review.

Hope you enjoyed this slight change of format! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment