Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday: 10 Books/Authors I Am Thankful For

Today's Top Ten Tuesday on The Broke & The Bookish is all about being thankful...for books and authors and maybe even people who got you reading? I know I'm definitely thankful for my parents, who both pushed me to read and lots of different books too. My sister and I were just talking about this last night, how our parents never pushed her (as the 2nd child) to read much. So I told her I was going to push her into reading Harry Potter lol. If it wasn't for my parents, I wouldn't have discovered Nora Roberts, Piers Anthony, Neil Gaiman, Linda Howard, John Grisham, VC Andrews, and more. Not to mention fantasy, romance, graphic novels. :) So here's my top 10 authors and books that I am most thankful for and what they have taught me, in no particular order.

1. Harry Potter taught me that happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light. Also, everything here...

2. Terry Moore's Strangers in Paradise taught me that it doesn't matter who you love, as long as you do it fiercely and with all your heart.

3. John Steinbeck's Cannery Row taught me that even the simplest story can move you to laughter and tears. Also, how to pronounce "cannery".

4. Anne of Green Gables has taught me, even though I've only read about 75 pages so far, that joy and pleasure can be found even in the smallest things. It's been my experience that you can nearly always enjoy things if you make up your mind firmly that you will. Also, why oh why did I take so long to read this magnificent book?!

5. Christopher Pike taught me how fun it is to be deliciously scared sometimes. And how awesome the 80s neon popped covers can be.

6. The Baby-Sitters Club taught me how to put together dibbly fresh outfits, what to do when a kid has a fever, how to come up with super awesome IDEAS, that combined families can be great as long as everyone has their own space, that if you think you're adopted you are probably just suffering from "2nd child syndrome", that it's totally okay for 13 year old girls to take a 4 year old on a sailboat alone as long as he keeps his windbreaker on, how to control your diabetes even when your BFF is a total junk-food fanatic, where to hide all your junk-food and Nancy Drew books, that if you are helping a child with a science project/talent show/beauty pageant/etc you should NOT take over and do everything for them and think you are the one winning the big prize. And finally...sisters before misters, ho's over bro's. ;)

7. Where the Wild Things Are and Maurice Sendak taught me that it's okay to scare a child as long as you cuddle with them afterwards. And that even if you go to your room in a major tantrum and go on an extended wild rumpus, when you get back, your dinner will be waiting there for you. And it will still be warm.

8. Anna & The French Kiss taught me that I could love YA contemporary romances again. And a new book can delight you just as much as an old.

9. The Book Thief taught me how powerful words can be. And that sometimes, you just have to write in your books.

10.Duncan's Bride by Linda Howard was the first romance book I read (forced by my mom) and taught me the joy of a happily ever after. And also the slightly dirty parts. ;)

15 comments:

  1. Interesting list! I'm only familiar with Harry Potter, so I'll have to check out some of the others you mentioned

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the list! I have yet to read some of these books. Harry Potter seems to be everybody's favorite ^^ Amazing.

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks to you both for stopping by! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read just about everything Christopher Pike wrote in the 90s. Road to Nowhere was my favorite one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was one of my faves too...I even wanted to name my kids Poppy Corn & Freedom Jack for a while lol.

      Delete
  5. Oh my gosh, I can not believe you mentioned The Baby-Sitter's Club! Aww, that would have made my list too had I remembered. I was totally a member as a kid. haha, the junk-food hiding. Forgot about that...I think I need to reread a few of these, just for the memories ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should! It's lots of fun to revisit them now, as an adult. :) And thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  6. I love that Maurice Sendak made it onto your list, he's one of my fave authors!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad that someone else mentioned The Babysitters Club! Your blurb made me chuckle. Those girls did all kinds of things no normal girl their age would even dream of doing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol...because they were Super Sitters! :) Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  8. I love the way you described what each book/series taught you. I especially enjoyed reading about Harry and the BSC. Ah...childhood!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much...I had a lot of fun writing them! :)

      Delete
  9. I like your reasons for including The Book Thief, I loved that book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved it too, it was so important to me. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete