Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Review: "This One Summer"

This One Summer by Jillian & Mariko Tamaki
3 out of 5 stars

I had been looking forward to this book since I first heard about it last year. I finally purchased it this winter but wanted to wait until it actually felt like summer to read it. With the record breaking rain we had for most of April and May here in Texas, I thought that would never happen. Luckily, the rains have finally stopped (minus the weird pop-up sunshine storms and TD Bill) and it finally feels like summer here, so I can start reading all the "summer" books I've been gathering up.

This graphic novel really is a "novel" at 300+ pages but I still felt like I didn't get enough story at times. It's a very quiet story, not much action, and that may be disappointing to some people. But it is a great story about growing up and the many different relationships we have. And also that feeling that summer brings, of adventure and relaxation all at the same time.

Rose and her parents spend part of each summer at a beach cottage and this year is no different...until it is. I would *love* to spend a few weeks or a month or a whole summer at my own beach house. Soaking up the sun, splashing in the ocean, playing silly games and reading books all day and night, wrapping up in a blanket on the porch when a chilly thunderstorm rolls thru, no rules or regulations or work. Yeah.

Rose's parents have been having a rough time for awhile and while she had hoped the trip would help them, it doesn't. So she's excited to see her friend, Windy, and have some fun. I love Windy, she was definitely my favorite character in the whole book. Old enough to have an idea of how things work but still young enough to not get pulled down by "grownup" problems. She has a major sugar addiction and loves to dance to hiphop music. And she helps Rose stay young for a little while longer, when she needs it most.

No comments:

Post a Comment