Friday, August 26, 2011

3 in 1! Alex Flinn

Another 3 in 1 review to play catch up! This time it's all Alex Flinn books. I wanted to read Beastly first, after seeing the movie last spring, but couldn't get it at the library so I got these first 2 books instead.

Breathing Underwater
4 out of 5 stars

I can see why this is a must-read in lots of high school classes now. Nick is the golden boy...on the outside. On the inside, he's an insecure kid scared of his dad and even more scared of growing up like him. When he falls for Caitlin, he thinks everything has finally turned around and she can make his life better. Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way.

This is a...gritty, I guess is the word...first-person story about a boy trying to deal with his problems and his family. It doesn't necessarily end happily, but it's a good book.


3 out of 5 stars

Okay, I'm starting to see how this author writes with this second book lol. She takes the stories of the unfortunate or misunderstood and tries to make them understood. If I were in high school still, I would have loved these.

Alex is a high school student who is also HIV positive. The students at his school are all freaked by this, which makes the book seem really dated. They're scared to sit next to him even. This book was published in 2006, so I don't know if the author was just really dating it or what? Anyway, Alex gets attacked one morning by an unknown person (and I can't remember how it ended, how sad is that!?) but Daria, a girl with Down Syndrome, says she saw the attacker and it was Clinton, the main bully at the school. This was a good, quick little read but like I said, feels very out-dated.


3 out of 5 stars

First, let me say that I hate getting books with the movie poster cover! But I found it at Half Price and I wanted it, so that's what I got. Also, I think this is the first time I've ever liked the movie better than the book. Possibly because I saw the movie first, I'm not sure.

Okay, this is the redone story of The Beauty & The Beast set in New York City in modern times. Kyle Kingsbury is the hot, popular jerk at school who makes fun of everyone just because he can. Until he makes the mistake of picking on Kendra, the "fat, ugly girl" who happens to be a witch. Funny how in the book they call her fat and ugly but in the movie she's an Olsen twin. O_o

Kendra puts a spell on Kyle, turning him into a (literal in the book) beast until he can find someone who loves him for what he is. He understandably freaks, but it's even worse when his dad, the handsome newscaster, does too. He ships him off to Brooklyn or something to live in a house with just the housekeeper and his blind tutor. Until some crackhead guy tries to break into his house and instead of turning him in to the police, he agrees to take the guy's daughter. (What kind of dads are these??)

They get to know each other and of course fall in love. Lots of predictability but there was a surprising twist at the end. I'm not sure how I feel about it. Overall, I did enjoy it and I'm glad I bought it. I still want to buy the movie too though. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment