Tuesday, August 23, 2011

3 Reviews in 1!

I'm still trying to play catch-up for the months I wasn't blogging, so to get there faster, I'm going to start doing a few books in 1 post every now and then. And probably more than 1 a day if I can get that far ahead. :) So here's the first 3...

2 out of 5 stars

I have the whole Walsh Family series (along with most of her other books) and haven't read them in years, so I thought I'd pick it up again. Well, I don't know if it was just because this was the first one or what, but I really didn't enjoy it that much this time around. I might try the others later on again. I went through a huge England/Europe based pink book faze and this was right in the middle of it.

Claire has just had a baby and suddenly finds out her husband is leaving her for another woman. She is totally freaked, understandably, and decides to go back home to Dublin with the baby for a while and make her mum and dad take care of her. She wallows in self-pity for a very, very, very long time until she meets a younger guy and falls for him. I won't say much more in case you do want to read it. And really, for a pink book, it's pretty decent! Just don't except some depth and you'll be okay!


Flowers in the Attic by VC Andrews
3 out of 5 stars

Oh man, this book freaks me out so much!! This was another reread and I am still deeply disturbed, after all this time. (Plus it's been about 5 months since I read it!) VC Andrews is the queen of dark, twisty, disturbed, tangled, disturbing family drama. And I devoured them as a teenager. My mom actually got me started on VC Andrews with this series and I highly recommend anyone start with them as well, just in case you've never read any before! I don't know if I'll read the others again, just because they're sooo creepy.

In case you've been living under a rock and don't know what these books are about, here's the gist: The Dollanganger's are a beautiful family of six, all blonde-haired and blue-eyed, all with names starting with C. Something horrible happens and they have to go live with the mother's evil parents. The evil grandmother and mother make the children stay in the attic for like 2 years. There's a whole list of things they aren't allowed to do or think like: no inappropriate thoughts, no boy & girl in the bathroom together, etc...so you know, obviously, that bad things are going to happen. And oh boy, do they!


3 out of 5 stars

I picked this up at the library one visit and honestly, I don't remember much about it. :/ I did like it, but it just wasn't that memorable for me. I do remember that it had a lot of Spanish words mixed in, which I enjoyed. It made it seem more "real" if you know what I mean.

Beatriz is part of a large Hispanic family that has one dark secret in their past: her sister ran away from the family a long time ago and they don't hear anything else about her until her daughter suddenly turns up on Beatriz's doorstep needing answers and a place to live. This is a good book about family values and taking care of each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment