Monday, July 11, 2016

Review: "The Truth About Stacey: The Baby-Sitters Club Graphic Novel #2"

The Truth About Stacey: The Baby-Sitters Club Graphic Novel #2 by Raina Telgemeier
3.5 out of 5 stars

I went to pull up my original review of this book and just now realized that they didn't do the actual first 4 books as graphic novels. I can't believe I didn't see that before now. They skip over Claudia & The Phantom Phone Calls, Dawn & The Impossible Three, and Kristy's Big Day. I wonder why? I mean, yeah, those weren't the best books but it's still kind of weird. And now I really wish they would do the first Super Special!

Okay, back to the graphic novel. I'm sure you know the story already, but here's a quick recap: Stacey has a secret that's not really a secret because we learnt about it in the first book and so did her new Stoneybrook friends. She's diabetic. Also, some older girls try to start their own baby-sitting service but they suck so the BSCers win again. This goes into a lot more detail than the book about what diabetes is and how it affects Stacey, which was pretty interesting. (And why I bumped it up half a star.) Especially for a kid just getting diagnosed. I would definitely give this to them as a resource.

(click to make bigger)

The artwork is great, like the first, with one exception. There's a flashback part with Laine and Stacey and they're supposed to be in 4th grade for some reason but they look exactly the same as their 7th grade selves. Not a huge deal, but when you're a BSC fanatic you notice this stuff lol.

The girls' outfits on the cover are pretty on-point, except for that darn purple streak in Claudia's hair. I guess the artist decided to make that a "thing" for her but it still bugs me lol. Also, we get to see more back characters like Janine, Stacey's parents, the Johanssens, Jamie Newton (who gets his little sister, Lucy), Laine (who looks like a total dweeb to me), Pete Black, and a few others. Overall, a great companion to the series and I can't wait to read the next two! I was waiting until I actually reviewed this one. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment