Friday, August 17, 2012

Review: "Key Trilogy"

Key Trilogy by Nora Roberts
4 out of 5 stars

I picked up the first book in this series at Walgreen's months ago just because I wanted to buy *something* (funny how many of my book purchases are like that huh?) and it's been sitting on my shelf ever since. I finally decided to give it a shot and hey, I really liked it! So I went and grabbed up the other two and gobbled them up as well. Nora Roberts is all about the Happily Ever After and the Big Romance but also believes in Empowering, Strong Women so that's cool. She also likes to throw in some magic occasionally and this trilogy is heavy on that.

I just want to talk about the trilogy thing for a minute...have you noticed how many books out there are parts of huge, gargantuan series now? I mean, it's nice to have lots of material to read about a favorite character or story, but after 8-10 books it starts getting a little redundant. 12-16 books? That's just verging on ridiculous. I think the only one who can do more than that is Piers Anthony, the king of Xanth (36 books and counting) and even those are excessive. Actually, I don't think I've read one since around #30 or so. Honestly, a trilogy is the best for me. You get a nice, long story but it doesn't go too long and it ends at the right time. Nora Roberts loves trilogies too. :)

Okay, I'm done with my mini-rant. On to the books. Three demi-goddesses have been trapped by an evil god king (see, told you there was magic) for thousands of years and can only be freed (free'd?) by 3 mortal women...in come Malory, Dana, and Zoe. They are told this unbelievable story by the extremely beautiful Rowena and the strong, broody Pitt at their mansion, Warrior's Peak, and offered a heavy incentive if they succeed. Once they agree to go on this outrageous quest to find the 3 keys, the story really gets going.

All 3 women are very strong characters but have been brought down by recent events in their professional lives. This, combined with their strange quest, brings the 3 together and they soon become close friends. I think Dana was probably my favorite, because she worked in books and that passion comes thru the pages in her (2nd) story. Spoiler, highlight to read: I loved that these 3 different women combined their talents and loves to make their shop. That is something I've always dreamed of and I really enjoyed all the parts about making their dreams come true. /spoiler

We can't forget their romantic counterparts of course: Brad, Flynn, and Jordan are great guys and had interesting stories on their own. Past loves, a crazy dog named Moe (that I loved), writing books, lots of money, and more for these hunka-burnin' loves. ;) There's the typical 3 men for 3 women and they all fall madly in love in the end, but you know what? Sometimes you need that kind of story! And this is a good one. It's got that ooey-gooey stuff plus some adventure, friendship, a cute kid & dog, a villain that you love to hate, redemption, and more.

And with that, I will leave you with the buttons that I got the other day from my library for filling out a survey on romance books. :)

2 comments:

  1. Haha, I'm reading a series right now, David Moody's "Hater" trilogy, then I'm re-reading the Harry Potter books (I never got past book #3)! A few months ago I read the Hunger Games trilogy, and....I'm all series-ed out. I don't even want to start the Game of Thrones books now!

    P.S. Your library is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It just gets exhausting after a while! I've really started to enjoy the one-off books lately...I'm reading The Help right now and it's kind of nice knowing the story will be done and I'll get to move on to something else after!

      I know! I thought that was really cool. :)

      Delete