Friday, August 24, 2012

Review: "The Morganville Vampires" Series Books 9-10

So I finally gave in and picked up the next 2 individual books in the Morganville Vampire series, because I couldn't wait for the omnibus' any longer lol. And I guess I'll go ahead and keep buying them like this now, but I refuse to buy them in hard-bound! Yeah. This is going to be a review of books 9 & 10, so if you haven't read the first 8, I suggest you stop here and go read my review linked up above. :)

Ghost Town: Morganville Vampires #9 by Rachel Caine
4 out of 5 stars

I really, really liked this one. I'd venture a guess that it was my favorite, so far. Even though the majority of it was pretty heartbreaking, I felt like it was the best written. The suspense starts right from the beginning when Claire gets into serious trouble with Amelie, the head-honcho, and is given a severe punishment: fix the town's computer system within a certain time period or else. Meaning she is stuck with Myrnin, the sanity-challenged, vampire-bunny-slipper-wearing, steampunk-loving vampire who doesn't quite understand why he can't bite whomever he pleases.

Oh, I love Myrnin. He is so unhinged, you never know what's going to happen. There is a rumor/theory/wish that I've read in many people's reviews that Myrnin and Claire are going to eventually get together. I just...I don't know how I feel about that. I love Shane & Claire together so much and Myrnin is oooolllddd lol. I know he's supposed to be very young looking and pretty dang hot, but I can't picture it.

Okay, anyway. Claire manages to fix the machine, but she doesn't realize that Myrnin has made a few "tweaks" until odd things start happening around town. Michael lashes out at her unexpectedly, people forget where they've been working and living for the last few years, that cow Monica suddenly thinks she's dating Shane because she did in high school. Turns out Myrnin's "tweaks" actually erased people's (including vampires) memories for the last 3 years. Which, you know, could be bad.

Bite Club: Morganville Vampires #10 by Rachel Caine
3 out of 5 stars

First things first: is that supposed to be Shane on the cover???!?? Um, no. That is not my Shane. At all. Yes, I feel very strongly about this lol. All right, this one wasn't nearly as good as the last for me. It just felt off somehow. Why can't these kids get a break every now and then? Oh right, then the books would be boring.

There's a new gym in Morganville and everyone is abuzz, because it's being run by vamps...to teach humans how to kick butt. Shane, especially, is like "heck yeah!" Dude has some major anger issues, which I get, but this is not the way to unleash them. Maybe try a little therapy next time.

This book is the first to have mini-chapters from Shane's point of view (which I guess is why he's on the cover?) and at first I thought that would be great, but after a while it gets old. Total angst-ridden, huge amounts of anger towards just about everyone, including Claire, Michael, and Eve, dark, dark thoughts that no one should be able to see. I'm starting to wonder if Claire and Shane will get their Happily Ever After. :(

There are some good things in this one though: Myrnin driving like a blind geriatric on crack with the cops on his tail, Oliver and Amelie's relationship growing to almost "like", highlight for spoiler re: Eve & Michael: getting married! Like Amelie is actually going to let that happen, but it's so cute to see Eve so happy for once! /spoiler, Claire getting some news about her future, Myrnin protecting Claire and her friends, all the bits with Myrnin really lol. I do <3 him. And now I really want to go get the next one. Arg, when's payday??

No comments:

Post a Comment